Contact information
Price list

News and Articles

RagWing Fleet
RW1 Ultra-Piet "Pete"
RW2 Special I
RW4 Midwing Sport
RW5 Heath Replica
RW6 RagWing Parasol
RW7 Duster
RW8 RagWing Pt2S
RW9 Motor Bipe
RW11 Rag-A-Bond
RW16 Aerial
RW19 Stork
RW20 Stork side-by-side
RW22 Tiger Moth
RW26 Special II

How to build a RagWing
Tools required to build a RagWing
Jim Dalens Rib Jig
Kawazaki Engines Info
Nose Bowls
Other plans

Builders Contribution

Links and other inform.



First Flight of the RagWing Special ll
by Randall Hon and Roger Mann

From the ground crew perspective:
Seeing something work that you and your friends have labored over for months and in most cases years, is a thing of beauty. Only someone who has done this can understand the feeling of accomplishment and joy of seeing a project perform as you expected it to on paper. When it performs better than expected there is a bonus elation that can't be described. So many ideas put into motion and coming together toward the goal of flight is fulfilling and just an awesome sight. You forget all the little set backs of "ok, now how do we get this to fit and function properly?" Now it seems like it didn't take so long after all because you are watching the wheels clear the ground and keep going. All the little "tweaks" and minor adjustments are a pleasure since you have just watched your baby fly. Group thoughts are turning to "how can we make it better and faster?"

The Special II's day was really the first warm almost Spring day we've had and it happened to fall on a Saturday. The morning was still fairly cool (ok it was cold) when we showed up at the shop to get the Special II on the trailer for the hour ride to the airfield. After four months of building it was time to put it to the test. Since the Special II is basically just an enlarged version of the Special I (single seat) we knew how it should perform. After we arrived at the airfield it took us a couple of hours to put on the wings and adjust the landing and flying wires. We dumped in five gallons of gas and were ready to fire up the Rotax 503. She fired on the first spin of the prop and I throttled her back too far and it died (my fault). On the second spin of the prop she fired right off and held steady. After a little warm up time and a check of the instruments Roger started putting on his flight gear.

In a few more minutes I was untying the run up rope and the Special II was heading out onto the airstrip. Roger did his normal taxi checks including several 360 degree turns to insure the steering system was good. I now was transformed from ground crew to photographer so I was heading down field with my camera to film those first hops. At this point I was quite nervous and excited. Roger rolled her to the end of the runway and without hesitation pushed the throttle to full power. After about 6 hops up and down the 2000 foot runway Roger brought her in for a once over before the first flight. Back to ground crew duties. After a thorough inspection of the airplane she was fired back up and Roger was on his way back to the end of the runway. Once again when he reached the end of the runway and lined up he fire walled the throttles without hesitation and was quickly moving down the runway.

From the pilots perspective:
Acceleration was quite brisk, surprising me a bit. I had to add some rudder quickly to get the plane to straightened out but soon had her tracking straight on the mains. I was not watching the airspeed but I knew I passed the 50 MPH take off speed in just a few hundred feet. I pulled the stick back slightly and she jumped off the ground to about 20 feet. Ok, time to wiggle the wings and whoaaaa....... this is the Special that I remember. Note to self....she banks quick with plenty of control so let's be easy with her for now.

Here comes the end of the runway so what's our speed? Ok we're cruising at 90 MPH, wow... she does feel strong so let's go. Ease the stick back, now we're climbing out at about 70 MPH. A quick once over the gauges, everything is good. About a minute and I'm at 1000 feet where I want to start my pattern work. Alright I have plenty of altitude, she turns good with little stick pressure. Ok, let's release the stick and see what happens. She goes into a slight dive with "no hands" but I think I can trim her out with power. As I push the throttle forward she trims out at about 6000 rpms which I think is a little high so we'll need a small elevator trim tab later. Alright, relax a bit and let's start our checks.

Hey, I'm flying a biplane. All is feeling good so let's slow her down a bit. Time to think about my landing. Slowing to about 50 MPH (my approximate landing speed) she feels good with a nose high angle. Everything is stable, I don't want to go any slower until I go for real altitude and find her stall speed. 50 MPH feels good for now. Power back up and let's go around for final. Approaching at 80 MPH time to throttle back. Now I'm descending at 90 MPH. Ease the power back more, don't need to get too fast. Man this plane is fast. Power all the way back. Ok, I have too much speed but I also have a 2000 foot runway. Just round her out and hold her off. Good, just hold it, stick back.....and touchdown. Whoops, I forgot to look at my airspeed. Very exciting. There's my ground crew. Hope they didn't see me bounce it too high. Time to look her over and keep flying. Can't wait to see how she does with a Rotax 912!

© 2006 Ragwing Aircraft Designs